Sunday, January 8, 2012

Beef Stroganoff

I have been craving this dish for some time, knowing that it is not the healthiest of dishes! But I figured if I just have a small plate that the craving will go away and I can move on to my quest for healthier dishes, which you will see in the weeks to follow. I have a goal to hopefully be in the best shape of my life by this summer. So with that comes more exercise and less cream....makes me sad that I have to give up my ice cream but this needs to be done!   : )
P.S.  I will also be making a wonderful desert today, heck why not, I am already going to be in calorie over load!!  I will be kind and share this recipe with you. So be on the look out for my Ricotta , Almond and Blueberry Cake! mmmm.


 

Ingredients:
1 flank steak (2 pounds)
1 tsp meat tenderizer
1 1/2 pounds portobello mushroom caps, gills removed, halved and sliced thin
Kosher salt and pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped fine
4 tsp all-purpose flour
2 tsp tomato paste
1  1/2 cups beef stock
1/4 cup white wine
2 tsp of mustard
1/2 cup sour cream
1 large egg
1 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley

Preparation:
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 425 degrees.


 


Cut steak lengthwise into 3-inch-wide strips, then cut each strip crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Toss meat and tenderizer together in medium bowl, cover, and refrigerate 15 to 30 minutes. Remove from and let it come to room temperature.


 
Roast the mushrooms:
Place mushrooms on prepared baking sheet, drizzle lightly with olive oil, and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Roast, stirring once, until golden brown, about 15 minutes; set aside.



To make the sauce:
Add the onion, remaining oil, and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook over medium heat until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in roasted mushrooms, flour, and tomato paste and cook until paste begins to darken, about 2 minutes. Add broth, wine, and mustard and bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.





 Pat steak dry with paper towels. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until just smoking. Cook half of steak, without moving it, until browned around edges, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip . Transfer to medium bowl. Repeat with additional 1 teaspoon oil and remaining steak.

Whisk sour cream and egg in small bowl until smooth.


Stir steak into sauce, along with any accumulated juices, and cook until beef is heated through, about 1 minute.

Off heat, add sour cream mixture and parsley. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve over wide egg noodles.


I like to add peas to this dish as you will notice in the picture….you may want to give it a try.





No comments: