Friday, November 4, 2011

Almond, Honey and Oat Bread

Mom has been in the kitchen making eggplant parm for dinner so I was feeling a little bored and decided to make a very quick no knead bread. The rising time in total is an hour and 20 min and the bake time is between 35 to 45 min.  So very quick and easy for me because I am not ready to knead anything yet...still not enough strenght in my shoulder and still have pain. 

I love the smell of fresh baked bread...good thing, seeing I work for a bread co.  The combination of the bread and dinner is amazing. Now my stomach is growling!  ;  )  
Can't wait to eat! 





 
Yeast, water and sugar blooming


After the first 1 hour resting, cut the dough in half to make 2 loaves.



Sprinkle the Oats and Almonds on top!!


Crock of Orange Butter!


Finished bread...
 


Almond, Honey and Oat Bread

1 1/3 cup warm water
1 tbsp active dry yeast
1/4 tsp sugar
¾ cups quick-cooking oats
1/3 cup of crushed all natural almond slivers
1/3 cup honey
3 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp olive oil
21/2  tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
5 cups all-purpose flour
1 large egg, beaten
2 Tbsp additional oats (For topping the bread)
1 tsp additional slivered almonds (For topping the bread)

Sprinkle the yeast and 1/4 tsp of sugar over the water, and let set for 10 minutes until frothy.  In a large bowl mix together the oats, almonds, honey, canola oil, salt and pepper and the water.  Stir in enough of the flour to form a soft dough (I started with 4 ½ cups and went from there).  Coat a large bowl with tsp olive oil.  Transfer dough to the bowl and turn it over to coat.  Cover with a kitchen towel in a warm area.  Let rise for about 1 hour, or until doubled in volume.

Punch the dough down, and shape into 2 loaves.  I just free formed 2 loaves on a baking sheet.  But you could use loaf pans if you wanted.  Cover and let rise for 20 minutes. 

Brush the top of the loaves with egg, and sprinkle with the additional oats and a sprinkle of almonds.  Bake at 350 for 35-40 minutes.  When you knock on the bottom of the bread and it sounds hollow, it is done.  Let the bread cool for about 10 to 15 min. Then cut slices with a serrated knife.

I topped with my homemade whipped orange butter!  Yummmm





2 comments:

Unknown said...

I wish I could bake. This looks yummy!

Theresa said...

MK...I love to bake! I posted this recipe because it is soooo easy, anyone can do it, Even you!
Please give it a try, you might suprise yourself! : )